At Debenhams we manage your personal information in an open and transparent way. Debenhams will only use your personal information when it is necessary for us to deliver you a service or perform other necessary business functions and activities.
Debenhams will not use or disclose your personal information for purposes unrelated to the services we provide, unless we first obtain your consent.
Our privacy obligations
Debenhams is bound by the requirements of privacy laws, which regulates how we may collect, use, disclose and store personal information. These laws also specify how individuals may access and correct personal information held about them.
"Personal Information" means information or an opinion about an identified individual (or an individual who is reasonably identifiable), whether true or not, or recorded in a material form or not. For example, these types of information could include your name, contact details and age.
In this policy 'we', 'us', 'our' and 'Debenhams' refers to (and this policy applies to) PSEA Dept. Stores Pty Ltd ABN No 83 095 018 803.
How and why do we collect information?
Debenhams will only collect personal information about you by lawful and fair means, and not in an unreasonably intrusive manner.
It is our usual practice to collect personal information directly from you when you:
- open a Debenhams account;
- visit or use our website (including any forums);
- subscribe to marketing and sales material or communications;
- complete an online form on one of our social media channels;
- enter a trade promotion or competition;
- register a gift card;
- complete an online form on one of our online advertisements that is placed on a third party website;
- complete a hard copy form or provide information in one of our stores;
- complete and return to us a hard copy form that is provided with one of our products;
- complete and return to us a wholesale account application form;
- request delivery of products;
- make a purchase, return or exchange a product where we request you to verify your identity;
- speak with us, or one of our representatives directly during a product or sales enquiry; or
- contact us directly by telephone, via mail, e-mail or online.
We may collect personal information about you from a third party or a publicly available source, but only if you have consented to such collection, or would reasonably expect us to collect your personal information in this way.
Where we can, we will allow you to deal with us anonymously or by using a pseudonym. However, in some circumstances, this may not be possible, and we may need to collect personal information from you to provide you with a delivery or other service. In some cases, if you do not provide the required personal information we will not be able to provide you with a service.
If we receive information about you from a third party and it is not information we need in respect of our business activities, we will destroy or de-identify that information (provided it is lawful to do so).
What kind of personal information does Debenhams collect and hold?
Any personal information that you provide to us in-store is collected and managed by us.
The types of personal information HS may collect includes your:
- date of birth;
- marital status and family details;
- residential, business and postal address;
- email address;
- contact telephone numbers;
- identification details;
- testimonials or opinions;
- photos of you;
- financial information, such as credit card details;
- written or verbal contact with HS, including voice recordings of telephone conversations you have had with our employees; and
- activities, including but not limited to lifestyle and other interests.
Whilst you may opt not to provide us with your personal information, you should be aware that without this personal information, we may not be able to provide you with some of the services and/or products you are seeking.
If you provide us with information about any third party, you must obtain that person's permission to give us the information and inform them that you have given the information to us.
How does Debenhams use your personal information?
We use your personal information for a variety of reasons including to:
- contact you as part of one of our marketing programs;
- provide services and products to you;
- answer your inquiries and deliver customer service to you;
- tell you about other products that we think may be of interest to you;
- enable us to undertake a credit assessment;
- maintain and improve customer services;
- manage gift card services;
- meet our legal obligations;
- consider making offers for employment purposes;
- manage and resolve any legal, consumer or commercial complaints and issues;
- carry out internal functions including training; and
- conduct marketing research and analysis.
Returns and exchange transactions
When returning or exchanging goods at Debenhams we require that your proof of purchase be presented. As part of our returns procedure, if proof of purchase cannot be supplied we may be unable to complete a return. If a return is approved without proof of purchase we will request suitable identification be provided by you. These details may be recorded with the transaction as part of our fraud prevention program. All information obtained in these instances is used solely for this purpose and not used for marketing purposes.
In what circumstances will we disclose your personal information?
In the course of conducting our business and providing our products and services to you, we may disclose your personal information.
We only disclose personal information for the purposes for which it was given to us, or for purposes which are directly related to one of our functions or activities. We do not give it to anyone else unless one of the following applies:
- you have consented to the disclosure;
- you would reasonably expect, or have been told, that your information is passed to those individuals, businesses or agencies; or
- it is otherwise required or authorised by law.
If we engage third party agents or contractors, we will take all reasonable steps to ensure that they do not breach privacy requirements in relation to the information, before we share your personal information with them.
Who may we disclose your personal information to?
We may disclose your personal information to:
- another business or entity; related to Debenhams or Pepkor South East Asia Pty Ltd
- to companies that perform services on our behalf, such as delivery companies, data entry service providers, trade promotion or gift card administration and account management providers;
- professional advisers (such as lawyers or auditors);
- payment systems operators and financial institutions;
- organisations authorised by us to conduct promotional, research or marketing activities;
- upon lawful request from law enforcement agencies or government authorities; and
- any persons acting on your behalf including those persons nominated by you, executors, trustees and legal representatives.
In all circumstances where your personal information is disclosed, we will take all steps reasonable to ensure that these third parties undertake to protect your privacy.
If you would like to access or update your personal information, you can login to your account and go the 'profile' page. Alternatively, you can contact our customer service department at firstname.lastname@example.org We prefer to receive written requests as in many cases this assists us to verify your identity.
We are committed to compliance with all laws and requirements relating to the use of your personal information. We will only use or disclose your personal information for direct marketing purposes if you have provided your information for that purpose (and you would expect us to use the information for that purpose), or if you have provided consent for your information to be used in this way.
From time to time, we may contact you with information about products and services offered by us and our related entities and our business partners, which we think may be of interest to you. When we contact you it may be by mail, telephone, email, SMS/text message or social media message.
Where we use or disclose your personal information for the purpose of direct marketing, we will:
- allow you to request not to receive direct marketing communications (also known as 'opting-out'); and
- comply with your request to 'opt-out' of receiving further communications within a reasonable timeframe.
We will only ever contact you if you have consented to this, and you can ask to be removed from our marketing lists at anytime by contacting us at email@example.com
Subscribers to the Debenhams email newsletter can unsubscribe at any time by clicking on the unsubscribed link at the bottom of our email newsletters or request to be unsubscribed from the mailing list via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Does Debenhams disclose your personal information to overseas recipients?
Your personal information may be disclosed to other entities related to Debenhams or Pepkor South East Asia Pty Ltd, business partners and service providers in Australia and overseas.
The countries this information may be disclosed to will vary from time to time.
Sometimes we use third party platforms and services to process sales, provide web support, send marketing messages, deliver products or otherwise deliver information. These services are hosted and managed by organisations other than ourselves, and some of these services are hosted overseas.
Your personal information may be stored in a secure and encrypted form overseas (e.g. in data storage and cloud computing facilities operated by us (or by third parties on our behalf).
We collect personal information (which may include sensitive information) from our employees (past, current and future) in order to provide a range of employment related services to us.
Debenhams collects personal information directly from job applicants (and their referees) or from recruitment agencies and relates service providers. The information we collect may include your name, address contact details, employment and education history, the names of your referees and other relevant information.
This information we collect about you will be used for recruitment purposes and may be disclosed to third party service providers who provide recruitment related services to us.
Use of Government identifiers
Debenhams will not use Government Identifiers, such as a driver's licence number as its own identifier of individuals.
Data quality and security
We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is stored securely and is protected from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
The personal information that we collect about you is stored on our database servers & filing systems managed by us in Australia and overseas.
Our websites are professionally hosted and operate in a secure environment. You should however be aware that there is always an inherent risk in transmitting your personal information via the Internet.
We use secure payment platforms to process online orders all in an SSL secure environment.
We take website and credit card security extremely seriously, and always endeavour to provide a secure safe platform on which to conduct online transactions, all our websites use DigiCert Inc Certificate. We may store your credit card details.
To make sure you are accessing a secure server, check for the unbroken key or closed lock symbol located generally either at the bottom left or top right of your browser window. If it appears, then SSL is active. You can double check this by looking at the URL as well. If SSL is active, then the first characters of that line will read 'https' rather than just 'http'. It is important for you to protect against unauthorised access to your password and to your computer.
Ensure you logout when you have finished visiting our website especially if you accessed it from a shared computer.
Cookies are pieces of information that a website transfers to your computer for record-keeping purposes. The information collected may be used by Debenhams to improve your experience on our website.
If you visit an area of the website where you are not required to log on, to read, browse or download information, our system will record the date and time of your visit to our site, the pages viewed and any information downloaded.
Links to third party sites
Whilst links to third party websites may be provided on our website, we are not responsible for the content or practices of these third party websites.
These links are provided for your convenience and do not represent Debenhams' endorsement of any linked third party website. We recommend that you check the privacy policies of these third parties prior to providing them with your personal information.
No links may be made to this website without our prior written consent.
How you can access or correct your personal information
If you would like to access or update your personal information, you can login to your account and go the 'profile' page.
Alternatively, you can contact our customer service department at email@example.com We prefer to receive written requests as this may assists us in verifying your identity.
How you can notify us of a privacy concern or contact our Privacy Contact Officer
- have queries, concerns or complaints about the manner in which your personal information has been collected or handled by Debenhams; or
- would like to request access to or correction of the personal information we hold about you;
Please write to:
L1, Building 8, Botanicca Corporate Park,
576 Swan Street, Richmond
If you consider your privacy concerns have not been resolved satisfactorily by us, or you wish to obtain more information on privacy requirements, you can contact The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner on 1300 363 992 or visit their website at www.oaic.gov.au.